[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 07:58:12 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Leon Feng <rainofchaos at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/8/22 Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>:

>> Maybe, maybe not, but is it the right choice *now*? That's the question.
>
> Some upstream package are start to require systemd support. Udev,
> Polkit is just an example.

And I say this is extremely bad news. Make GTK+ depend on GNOME, and
guess what will happen: people will stop using GTK+ (or fork it). Make
PolicyKit depend on systemd and people will stop using it.

I for one look forward to alternatives to udev, systemd and Polkit
(and all the packages that depend on systemd).

And let's remember that not every Arch Linux user uses Polkit (right?).

> This is not Arch decision. It is the decision made by upstream. Arch
> just follow the trend.
> Add as the poll shows: More Arch users(80%) agree with upstream for this change.

Yes, they agree with the change, but the poll doesn't ask *when* this
change should happen.

> There are indeed some corner cases that systemd not support. This is
> exact the reason Arch should encourage users to try systemd out. If
> there is indeed problem, they can just remove init= kernel parameter
> and report it, wait for it been fixed.

Yes, people should be trying systemd *now*, but what happens if in the
small percentage of users that are doing this you can already see
problems? This should hint that the move to make it the default should
be delayed for *later*.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras