[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:06:50 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op 22 aug. 2012 10:59 schreef "Kevin Chadwick" <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> het
> volgende:
>>

> Kevin, you seem to be fairly advanced user. How about creating a vm with
> Arch and getting an alternative to udev running?

I do this all the time with buildroot; udev is a choice, and I often
have trouble compiling it because it depends on so many things, like
specific kernel configurations, and certain toolchain options. The
fact of the matter is that udev doesn't do much for me,
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y and CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y does most of the job,
the rest is loading the right modules at boot time, which can be done
with a simple script. There's also mdev from busybox, but it's too
simple, I don't really understand what is the point of it.

But there's certainly people that don't use udev at all:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras