[arch-general] SystemD poll

Menachem Moystoviz moystovi at g.jct.ac.il
Fri Aug 24 06:58:56 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 Aug 2012 21:47:14 Norbert Zeh wrote:
>> I tried to keep my mouth shut but can't resist to reply here because I
>> simply don't understand how you think the world works.  Do you want to see
>> proof that every piece of open-source software is ready to be used?  That's
>> ridiculous. Open-source software is being developed.  People think it may
>> be interesting. They try it.  It doesn't work, they forget about it.  It
>> does work, they use it. It does work, except for some issues here and
>> there, people use it and provide bug reports in the hope the bugs will be
>> fixed.  Even though I'm not a systemd fanboy and probably would have been
>> equally happy continuing with init scripts for a while, my general
>> impression is that systemd is in the latter category. It works for a large
>> number of people (the majority?), it works flawlessly for me so far.  Yet,
>> here you are raising doubts about systemd being ready to be used.  That
>> puts *you* in a position to explain why you think there are serious reasons
>> why systemd should not be adopted.  Your confusion stems from a
>> misunderstanding of what the default is.  In law, the default assumption is
>> that the accused is innocent and any claim to the contrary needs to be
>> proven.  You seem to assume that the default assumption is that the
>> software is broken, and it needs to be proven that it works.  In reality it
>> works the other way around, and I think it's the only model that works
>> because nobody would develop and distribute software *for free* if they
>> also had to prove that it works.  Ironing out the glitches that still exist
>> in certain pieces of software through early adoption, testing, and
>> reporting of bugs upstream is exactly the role bleeding edge distributions
>> such as arch play in the open-source ecosystem.
>>
>> Then again, much of this has been said a bit differently before.  So I'm not
>> sure you'll follow the argument.
>
> Bravo!  This was well said.
> Paul

I agree with the above, however, for the record, in my opinion the
golden mean here
would be to support both systemd and initscripts in parallel. This
would be comparable
to the current GRUB2/syslinux support. However, I respect and will
abide by the dev's
final decision on the matter, even though it will cause some inconvenience.
If at some point the devs decide to drop support for initscripts, I
hope they will still
keep the package around in the repos for those who want it.

Good day,
Gesh