[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Anthony ''Ishpeck'' Tedjamulia archlinux at ishpeck.net
Fri Aug 24 22:31:56 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 09:23:33PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > So it's only needs twice the time with only on third of the ticks? Well
> > that is awesome... Yeah to systemd!
>
> systemd is much more complicated, and requires many more tricks.

Please remember: I hate systemd.

I have seen systemd boot faster than rough equivalents.

Yes, the software is a huge, bloated piece of crap.  But it
is also unmistakably capable of faster boot times when
services are started properly in parallel.

That's assuming a few things (like that your services are
not hugely inter-dependent or that a couple [like, maybe
DHCP, depending on your server] just take stupidly long
to start up).

For all its faults, being incapabel of giving you a boot
time advantage is _not_ one of them.