[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 02:23:24 EDT 2012

Op maandag 27 augustus 2012 07:59:52 schreef Heiko Baums:
> Am Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:15:39 -0400
>
> schrieb Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com>:
> > I apologize for this being somewhat after-the-fact. It was discussed
> > on IRC, but that of course doesn't necessarily cater to a wide enough
> > audience. Some of you have probably already noticed that systemd 189
> > now provides, conflicts, and replaces libsystemd and systemd-tools.
> > This is the next logical step since systemd will eventually be in
> > base once we have sufficient unit coverage.
> >
> > As an added bonus, maybe this will encourage people who haven't
> > switched over yet to do so. ;)
>
> "Nobody is forcing systemd on anybody."
>
> Wasn't it this what was always said by the devs in all those long
> threads about systemd? And what are you doing now? Isn't this not
> forcing it on everybody?
>
> "Nobody has the intention to build a wall."
>
> Heiko

Ok:

fact:
- you will have all the systemd stuff installed on your system (you already had
  most of it on your system anyway)
- initscripts is still working fine without interference of systemd

so you are right, you are forced to install it. but you are wrong that you are
forced to use it.
and eventually only one init system will be left and now it is looking very
much in favour of systemd.

--Ike