[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Mon Aug 27 05:30:46 EDT 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:48:32 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> But this only concerns the booting itself. As consolekit is
> unmaintained, polkit will soon depend on systemd. The next Gnome
> version will require systemd - more to come.

I don't run gnome, but kde is just as bad in this case :(

> That said, if you run a machine that does not depend on any of this
> (like a server), you will probably be able to keep using traditional
> initscripts for a while.

I am primarily thinking of a few servers I've setup with archlinux.  I
really don't look forwards to run all the overhead that systemd will
bring with it on those machines..

Will try to refrain from further comments now, since I don't want to
pollute this list with flames...

Thanks in advance for the time I still have left with arch :)