[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Sujith m.sujith at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:35:26 EDT 2012

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Please support our traditional initscripts as long as possible, as I for
> > one really don't look forwards to systemd, at least not at this point
> > in time.  Reasons excluded to avoid yet another flamefest...:(
>
> If you search the archives, you will notice that longer initscripts
> support is already planned.
>
> But this only concerns the booting itself. As consolekit is
> unmaintained, polkit will soon depend on systemd. The next Gnome version
> will require systemd - more to come.
>
> That said, if you run a machine that does not depend on any of this
> (like a server), you will probably be able to keep using traditional
> initscripts for a while.

This is good news !

I maintain a bunch of test-machines (about 10) in a lab and the prospect of moving
all of them to a new init system is a bit scary - they are all in a remote place.
My environment is openbox/emacs, so initscripts is a perfect fit. Having just moved
all the machines to grub2 and resolved the /lib migration, embracing systemd right now
appears to be a tiresome job. :-)

And I have a server which I stopped upgrading a while ago. :)

Sujith