[arch-general] kde and systemd [was Re: [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 28 04:19:45 EDT 2012

Am 28.08.2012 04:16, schrieb Shridhar Daithankar:
> On Monday 27 Aug 2012 11:30:46 AM Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:48:32 +0200
>>
>> Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> But this only concerns the booting itself. As consolekit is
>>> unmaintained, polkit will soon depend on systemd. The next Gnome
>>> version will require systemd - more to come.
>>
>> I don't run gnome, but kde is just as bad in this case :(
>
> care to elaborate?
>
> I have always used KDE. Now I am using it with systemd but AFAIK it does not
> mandate anything systemd specific.

You can build polkit with either consolekit or systemd support, but not
with support for both. consolekit is unmaintained for a while and thus
we will switch to building polkit with systemd support instead. Once
that happens, you need systemd for certain aspects of KDE to function
properly (most prominently, mounting removable file systems).