[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 28 04:31:50 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op 28 aug. 2012 10:06 schreef "Tom Gundersen" <teg at jklm.no> het volgende:
>> If that works, it would be great. However, I'm very skeptical. I don't
>> see how this could possibly work for services of type other than
>> "forking" (i.e., how to simulate socket/dbus activation). As we hope
>> that as few services as possible will be using Type=forking, that is a
>> problem. Having had a brief look through the code/documents I see no
>> mention of this issue, but maybe I'm missing something obvious...
>
> Actually, that sounds like a fairly  small issue...
>
> With most daemons i prefer to either start them at boot or not at all.
> In case any daemon requires socket activation, you can use xinetd for those.

I guess what I wrote was a bit misleading. Ignore socket/dbus
activation (that is a side effect only). The point is that I don't see
how to make daemons of Type=simple (the default), Type=dbus or
Type=notify work without reimplementing much of systemd (regardless of
when/how they are started).

The point is that those kinds of daemons have moved functionality out
of the daemon itself and into systemd, so the analogous must be done
in the rc scripts.

Hopefully the Debian guys have found a clever solution for this, I'd
be interested to see it :)

Cheers,

Tom