[arch-general] kde and systemd [was Re: [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package]

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 28 11:45:04 EDT 2012

On 28 August 2012 16:01, Joakim Hernberg <jbh at alchemy.lu> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:55:06 +0200
> Joakim Hernberg <jbh at alchemy.lu> wrote:
>
>> $ pacman -Qi shows me that kdebase-workspace depends on consolekit,
>> which in turn depends on polkit. The above comment seems to suggest
>> that kde will soon depend on systemd.
>
> Maybe I should add that I think this support is only needed by KDE for
> powermanagement and automounting of media.  So conceivably one could
> live without it if necessary :)

In fact, many Archers have lived without these things for years ever
since they became mandatory for the masses. Especially those on WMs.
These are the purists, so to say. I don't see systemd or anything like
that becoming a problem. The purists will find their way to keep these
things out.

Having libpulse or systemd "live" on your system isn't going to do any
harm while you're adapting to the change. There's always a way to do
what you want, and there's always another KISS operating system. Given
the resistance that I see, I'm almost sure a separate initscripits
project (or a distro fork if necessary) is inevitable.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1