[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Zeke Sulastin zekesulastin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:02:34 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Jayesh Badwaik
<jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apparently, Gentoo has recently forked udev. [1] I am not completely
> sure since the main poster is a n00b according to the gentoo forum
> ratings, but rest of the discussions seems legit.

Actually, a guy forked it and announced it on Gentoo's forums; the
distro itself currently has nothing to do with it, although as Gentoo
is planning on using OpenRC over systemd any news about a udev fork is
interesting to them [2].  I'm not sure I'd call the less than one page
of discussion "legit" though - it looks to me like a little bit of
building discussion and a lot of the same crap that's been infecting
our own mailing list (plus consus' "advantages" are suspect - just
going on the first one, a separate /usr not mounted in initramfs has
been broken since long before systemd-udev, and in my quick look at
commits I don't really see anything they've added that would change
that esp. since it's not just udev that's the issue.  If Gentoo devs
get on board it might go somewhere, but until then I'm not that
confident.)

[1]https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678.html
[2]http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ywdpw/systemdudev_has_been_forked/c5zwz0n