[arch-general] libsystemd to systemd

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:51:50 EDT 2012

>> While the cause has been explained I think we are missing the Why or is
>> it How.
>>
>> If dbus was out of order how come it worked under initscripts?
>
> I have honestly no idea why the setup used to work (it never should
> have), and what made it stop working (nothing should have changed).
> Notice that the OP is still using initscripts. My best guess is there
> was a race and somehow something sped-up or slowed down to make it
> trigger.

And this is yet another example how initscripts are broken.
I had a friend whose GDM was not coming up because it
was starting too fast after dbus. As a last resort we rearranged
the DAEMONS and moved gdm as the last daemon (after NM etc)
and it magically started to work.

With systemd you could start gdm as fast as you want and systemd would
make sure its dependencies are met, either by starting them first, or buffering
the socket/dbus calls.

--
damjan