[arch-general] libsystemd to systemd

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 31 11:54:07 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 20:45 +0530, gt wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:30:43PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 13:51 +0200, Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > > And this is yet another example how initscripts are broken.
> > > I had a friend whose GDM was not coming up because it
> > > was starting too fast after dbus. As a last resort we rearranged
> > > the DAEMONS and moved gdm as the last daemon (after NM etc)
> > > and it magically started to work.
> > I use GDM too, but it's not in the DAEMONS list.
> >
> > [root at archlinux spinymouse]# grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
> > # DAEMONS
> > DAEMONS=(69switch_xorg.conf hwclock syslog-ng !network !netfs crond
> > acpid dbus networkmanager rtirq)
> > [root at archlinux spinymouse]# pacman -Qi gdm
> > Name           : gdm
> > Version        : 3.4.1-3
> >
> > *?*
>
> You probably use the inittab method
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager#inittab_method

Correct and startup just takes some seconds not using systemd and I
never had issues. However, soon or later I'll switch to systemd. I don't
like to discuss this anymore, I don't like to switch, but I guess
there's no other choice. IMO it's unfair to claim that initscripts is
broken. There might be bugs, but it isn't broken. Some coder(s) have
done a good job, but today it sounds like initscripts is something
terrible. It is disrespectful not to honor that initscripts is something
good, even if there should be something better now.

Regards,
Ralf