[arch-general] cannot set locale (systemd)

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Aug 31 12:30:34 EDT 2012

Am Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:10:01 -0300
schrieb Tomás Acauan Schertel <tschertel at gmail.com>:

> Both /etc/locale.conf and /etc/environment have this lines:
>
> LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
> LC_MESSAGES=C
>
> And my system (LXDM + XFCE) keeps en_US.

No, it uses C, because Xfce unfortunately uses LC_MESSAGES, not LANG, to
set its locale.

To get pt_BR.UTF-8 in Xfce you need to remove LC_MESSAGES=C.

If you need the messages in the terminal with the locale C for filing
bug reports e.g., I'd suggest you to always prefix the command with
LC_MESSAGES=C or set an alias for those commands.

This issue has nothing to do with systemd, btw.

Heiko