[arch-general] libsystemd to systemd

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:31:17 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> > I think it's asking more than commenting out the DAEMONS line?
>>
>> I'm not following, what's the question?
>
> Isn't getting rid of the compat layer going to be more work for some
> (not too much to ask) than those who are grumbling simply commenting out
> the DAEMONS line?

You know it is not as bad as I thought - I converted two laptops today
to full systemd. Both run well after the conversion but I did it in
two stages. Here are my notes: Once systemd-sysvinit is installed then
initscripts and sysvinit have to be removed first and during the
process rc.conf became a pacsave file so the DAEMONS line is no longer
at that point after conversion. I hope these notes are helpful. The
complete process took 15 minutes in each case!

Working from arch systemd wiki

Convert rc.conf to systemd compatible form as recommended apart from
DAEMON array.

Install systemd systemd-arch-units using pacman.

Add init=/bin/systemd to end of kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Reboot - initially only console login as it hangs at graphical.target

At console hang after boot, hit return to get a login prompt then:

Log in as root and do
# systemctl enable graphical.target
# systemctl enable kdm.service

Reboot (by doing systemctl reboot)  and get graphical login as normal.

Check that all previous daemons from rc.conf now started and if not enable them

1) iptables appears stopped

After a question on arch forum it seems that "active(exited)" is the
normal status as it is a one-shot service and does not run as a daemon
once the rules are loaded and dealt with by the kernel.

2) Seems alsa is legacy via rc.conf - it is running and sound is fine.

In second laptop alsa was taken out of the daemon array anyway so not needed

3) cpupower frequency-info shows normal output.

4) For the journal do mkdir /var/log/journal/ and also limit the
journalsize to 50M -
In /etc/systemd/journald.conf add a line:
SystemMaxUse=50M

5) Then needed pacman -R sysvinit initscripts
which did a pacsave for /etc/rc.conf and /etc/inittab

then pacman -S systemd-sysvcompat

The new systemd had already installed when pacman -Syu just before this -

6) Now need to reboot and check daemon load against rc.conf.pacsave

DAEMONS=(!hwclock syslog-ng iptables netfs crond sshd cupsd dbus
!rpcbind postfix dovecot networkmanager alsa cpupower bluetooth named
chrony)

Needed:
systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
systemctl enable cronie.service
systemctl enable sshd.service
systemctl enable postfix.service
systemctl enable dovecot.service
systemctl enable named.service
systemctl enable chrony.service
systemctl enable syslog-ng.service

also need:
systemctl status iptables.service
systemctl enable acpid.service
systemctl enable cups.service

Now have both syslog-ng in /var/log/messages.log and systemd journal
via journalctl

Conversion complete.

Did the OP do something similar or have different steps?
--
mike c