[arch-general] Nouveau and nvidia simultaneously - is this still a good idea?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:24:33 EST 2012

Referring to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92530

Basically the idea was to have nvidia-utils and libgl packages which
do not conflict (and don't contain the libgl.so, and, I suppose, the
libglx.so symlinks). The user would then have to change symlinks
manually (see [1]) to use either nvidia or nouveau after an X restart.

Does anyone do it this way? Is there some possible 'gotcha' I'd face
trying to do this?

My reasons? To see if I can (and also because I finally got round to
checking nouveau's latest updates, and it seems my card is just about
fully supported except for power saving).

[1a] - I'd guess making /usr/lib/libGL.so point at libGL.so.1 and
changing /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to point to either libGL.so.1.2.0 (for
current libgl) or libGL.so.310.19 (for current nvidia-beta) is one
thing that needs to be done
[1b] - The other conflict seems to require
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so to point to either
libglx.xorg (for current libgl) or libglx.so.310.19 (for current
nvidia-beta)
[1c] - Remove nouveau blacklist (or comment it out)