[arch-general] [arch-announce] December: time for a new install medium

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Mon Dec 3 11:30:27 EST 2012

Hi Robbie,

> I know it's not really necessary, but I always like to have the most up-to-date
> Arch live on my toolbox USB stick. Is there a recommended way to update an
> existing USB install medium (without overwriting other files?), or should I just
> follow the steps at [1], and update the syslinux configs each time?
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media#Without_over
> writing_the_USB_drive

don't know if there is a recommended way but I did just that this weekend.

1. Mount iso and copy the arch,EFI and loader directory (it worked but maybe I should delete destinations directories first to avoid conflicts with old files not updated)
2. I have reexecuted extlinux install (possibly optionnal but I have played it safe)
3. You can skip the copy of the 440 bytes MBR bootstrap code. Updating files have no impact on it.
4. Modify 3 cfg files in /arch/boot/syslinux and /loader/entries to replace archisolabel with archisodevice

That is all there is to do to update your usb key.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.