[arch-general] rootfs remains in ro at boot on fresh install with new December ISO

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Mon Dec 3 12:00:48 EST 2012

Hi,

I hope it is not caused by the shortcut that I have taken to update my usb install key from november iso to december iso as described in the other thread.

The first symptom that I have observed is that dhcpcd isn't able to update /etc/resolv.conf

I am going to provide as much relevant info so you can tell me what to look for

1. Installed from december iso on newly created GPT ext4 partitions
2. Bootloader GRUB2
3. Did a systemctl mask tmpfs as I am mounting a disk partition on /tmp from fstab
4. Double checked 2-3 times that all my mounts are rw in fstab
5. Once logged, I have no problem doing "mount -o remount,rw /"
6. I have removed the ro kernel parameter option in grub.cfg (BTW, why is this used at all? I'm a little bit ignorant about Linux booting good practices). By doing so rootfs still remains ro.

I am suspecting either systemd or the content of the initramfs. Until now, those are still black boxes to me. What should I look at to resolve my rootfs ro problem?

thank you very much!
Olivier
(A new Arch user and extremely happy to have found and tried your distribution!)

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.