[arch-general] On /etc/conf.d deprecation

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 10 04:27:38 EST 2012

[2012-12-10 09:14:49 +0100] "Jérôme M. Berger":
> Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > However, options that are unrelated to the init-system should not be
> > specified in ExecStart=, but should be configured in the applications
> > own configuration file. It has nothing to do with systemd, so for
> > systemd to just stupidly read it from one location and pass it on to
> > the program without touching it seems wrong on a conceptual level.
> >
> 	Conceptually, you are right. Unfortunately not all applications
> work that way today, so we need a way to pass the options to the
> applications that don't.

Tomorrow is the new today: "The first option should always be to
petition upstream to add their own config files with the required
options." (Tom, in the exact same message you were replying to)

In other words /etc/conf.d/ is the last resort; if we keep relying on
it, nothing clean will ever get done.

--
Gaetan