[arch-general] NFS close-to-open

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:11:06 EST 2012

I've been learning about the close-to-open policy of NFS, which causes each
file to be flushed to the server as it's closed, to ensure consistency across
clients.  This is a big performance hit when trying to upgrade the system,
because of the numerous writes to small files.

I know about the "async" export option, obviously, but there is also a "nocto"
client mount option, which is supposed to disable the close-to-open mechanism
for that client.  As far as I can tell, this is supposed to stop the client
from flushing the file when it closes it (as well as not bothering to check
cache consistency when it opens).  However, this seems to have no effect: the
client is still flushing the file to the server on close, causing massive
wait-io.

Does anyone have any idea why "nocto" doesn't have the effect I was hoping it
would?  The "async" option works as expected, but it's more important to me
that the client cache is correct, and it just bugs me.

Thanks for any insight,
Paul