[arch-general] Mounting /var early in systemd

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:03:47 EST 2012

On Wednesday 12 Dec 2012 08:05:26 Dave Reisner wrote:
> > That's what I hoped too.  I've tried several approaches.  I'm trying a
> > mount unit here, because I was hoping there might be a bit more magic to
> > it. However, it does mean that I had to hardcode the mount path (%H
> > doesn't seem to work), but if I can get this working, I have a oneshot
> > unit that should take care of that.
>
> I'd sooner use a generator than a oneshot unit to perform a mount.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  I just haven't looked into implementing
generators so far.

> If sockets.target is too late, then order it before that. man bootup
> shows a synchronization point at sysinit.target before jobs for
> sockets.target are even dispatched.

I was already ordering before sockets.target, but the problem is that the
other sockets are also ordered before sockets.target, so my unit isn't
necessarily ordered before any of those socket units.

I wasn't aware of the bootup manpage.  That's incredibly helpful; thank you.
I'll try ordering before a few more of those targets and see if I get
anywhere.  However, based on the bootchart, none of the targets appear before
the first socket unit is activated.

Paul