[arch-general] dbus update - /etc/passwd merge question

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:39:39 EST 2012

On 14/12/12 01:04, Neil Perry wrote:
> On 13 December 2012 13:52, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> vipw and vigr don't seem to do anything for me. It doesn't matter what
>> changes I make, they both report that nothing was changed.
>>
>> # vipw
>> (Makes changes in $EDITOR, writes and quits)
>> vipw: no changes made
>> vipw: /etc/passwd unchanged
>>
>> ?
>>

> I believe vipw and vigr will launch the file in using $EDITOR. Once you
> have made changes it will sanity check in a sandbox style before saving to
> the 'production' file.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong please.
>
> Neil

That's what it's supposed to do, according to all the documentation that
I can find. But (for me at least), it opens a temporary file in $EDITOR
named vi(pw|gr).XXXXXX, where XXXXXX is a random string. Upon editing
the file and exiting the editor, instead of comparing and merging the
changes to the production file, it does nothing. I've even made a copy
of the production file myself (as an extra precaution), and deleted
every line in the tmp file, and it still does nothing.