[arch-general] Nvidia Driver woes on Macbook 3,2

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Thu Dec 20 18:07:10 EST 2012

> Daniel Bryan:
>
> > Here's what I've tried in EFI mode:
> >
> > - standard nouveau setup - X sort of starts up but there are weird
> >   artifacts, mouse doesn't work, and it freezes up pretty quickly.
>
> I had the same problem and found the following solution:
>
> - Install xf86-video-fbdev

This is very interesting. I was confronted with a similar problem with an old Nvidia card. I had weird visual artifacts with Nouveau and my card support has been dropped by the latest Nvidia driver. Their latest driver that supported it required Linux 2.6

I ended up installing xf86-video-vesa as suggested in the Beginner's installation guide. It works well except for a reduction of the maximum resolution to what was available prior to switching to Arch. (this Pc is coming from Linux 2.6 Ubuntu system)

I could not find much info about xf86-video drivers by finding such pages like:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-fbdev/

What is the difference between fbdev and vesa x driver? If my system is booting fine with the fb video driver for the vconsole, should I be better with the X fbdev video driver?

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.