[arch-general] Install problem

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Dec 27 14:45:19 EST 2012

Hello,

today I did a fresh install using the december release of the
install media. Everything done 'to the book' (the install guide
wiki page). Bootloader is syslinux.

When booting the freshly installed system, I get the syslinux
menu, select Archlinux or fallback, things seem to be normal
for a few seconds then everything stops. After some time I get
a message that /dev/sda3 (which is the / partition) can't be
found and I'm dropped into an emergency shell.

No LVM or RAID, just a single SATA disk with

  sda1 = /boot (100M, ext2)
  sda2 = swap (2G)
  sda3 = / (~250G, ext4)

Partioning done with cfdisk.

The mkinitcpio.conf used is the default one, which seems to
have all required hooks.

Everything in /boot/syslinux looks ok.

Any hints ??

Ciao,