[arch-general] Install problem

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Dec 28 12:00:46 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:07:56AM -0500, Dave Reisner wrote:

> Assuming this is native SATA and not setup in compat mode, your image
> needs to contain the modules 'ahci', 'sd_mod', and 'ext4' (ignoring
> dependencies which I assume mkinitcpio found, added).  Make sure the
> kernel version for the image matches whatever the installer gave you
> (3.6.10-1-ARCH if you stuck with [core]). 'lsinitcpio -a' will nicely
> lay all this out for you.
>
> You'll probably find your problem/solution here which will involve
> rebuilding the initramfs. Make sure /boot is mounted...

Module ahci was missing. Added it to MODULES, remade the images,
the problem remains.

See also previous post: the same thing happens (but less frequently)
when booting from the install media (USB stick). I must just have been
lucky when I did the install.

When there is the oops, none of the three modules you mentioned are
in the list printed by the backtrace.

Further action will have to wait until next year (this is at work).

Until then, best wishes !

Ciao,

--
FA