[arch-general] Kmail 2 problems

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:15:23 EST 2012

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:51:57 P Nikolic wrote:
> Well if this gets thru it may well be getting there i have completely
> deleted all the accounts  and re done them but getting used to that now so
> does not take long (all in my head now even the dang passwords full of  all
> sorts) also the same with the filters  .

It got through :)

> I can sometimes end up with 2 or 3 copies of a message or a message will go
> straight to the trash can and as soon i i access it the can just empty's .
>
> then there is the one about the Local folder not existing  and the unable to
> move message (message number)  .

If there are errors in reference to Local Folders, you might want to try
deleting the Local Folders resource from Akonadi, and recreating it.  I don't
think the maildir is deleted when you do this, so you might want to consider
emptying it before recreating the resource.  On my system, the directory is
~/.local/share/local-mail.

> One thing i can not find right now is just where the Mail is supposed to be
> stored  i can not find it at all    .

I don't think it's stored in a standard maildir any more, but I think the
relevant files will be at ~/.kde4/share/apps/akonadi-mbox-resource-<X>.

If none of this works, I think you need to think about deleting your Nepomuk
database, assuming you're not too attached to any tags or ratings you've
assigned to files.  This will destroy all that kind of metadata, which is
generally stored in Nepomuk these days.

In order to do this, you need to close KMail, shut down Akonadi, and run this
command:

$ qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit

Make sure that "nepomukserver" has exited.  (It can take a little while,
sometimes.  You may even have to kill it.)

Then you can move ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk to some backup location and
restart Nepomuk with:

$ nepomukserver&

Then you can start Akonadi again, and then KMail.  With any luck, that might
help.

Paul