[arch-general] ntp settings

Sébastien Leblanc leblancsebas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:53:00 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 17:40, Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> visudo(8) does more than locking. It performs basic syntax checks after
> editing and tells you if (and where) any errors were found. It's the
> right tool for this job, so why bother with workarounds if using another
> editor is as simple as setting "$VISUAL" or "$EDITOR" (which you should
> do in your shell rc file anyway if you're not used to using vi(1))?

$EDITOR is already set in my .bashrc. I always tried to run it this way:
~ $ sudo visudo
but it never worked.

Even putting vars before invoking sudo does not work:
~ $ EDITOR=nano VISUAL=nano sudo visudo

I just found out that sudo clears (at least some) environment
variables and you have to put this variable after 'sudo'.

~ $ sudo EDITOR=nano visudo

I did not use visudo because I never bothered trying to make it work
with nano. Thanks to you, I now know how.

--
Sébastien Leblanc