[arch-general] Nvidia Driver issues

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:16:23 EST 2012

On 02/04/2012 07:08 AM, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 07:08:34AM -0800, Don deJuan wrote:
>> pgrep -P `pidof openbox` | xargs kill -s SIGTERM
>> sleep 5
>>
>> it throws an error in regards to pgrep, I believe but it goes by so
>> quickly I can not read the whole thing.
>>
>> So not really sure whats going on but even though it does not work
>> 100% properly it gets passed locking up with a red screen or just
>> with a cursor. If I can sort this out further I will post back the
>> results and mark this solved.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help I have gotten so far.
>
> Actually it should be unrelated because afaict you're executing this command
> from a terminal emulator which is a child process of the process tree you're
> attempting to kill, which leads to a self-reference, which the kernel should
> handle okay. So, it likely says "broken pipe" or something that way?
>
> cheers!
> mar77i
Yes was a broken pipe message.

Still trying to sort this out. I have come across something else that I
am not sure about. If I run ck-list-sessions I get

Session1:
	unix-user = '1000'
	realname = '(null)'
	seat = 'Seat2'
	session-type = ''
	active = FALSE
	x11-display = ':0.0'
	x11-display-device = ''
	display-device = ''
	remote-host-name = ''
	is-local = TRUE
	on-since = '2012-02-06T23:31:15.440354Z'
	login-session-id = '1'

There is nothing being shown in display-device. From what I have seen on
the message boards and other things through google most seem to show
something in there. I am using slim, openbox and .xinitrc could this
maybe be the cause? I have seen people mention with it empty means
console-kit broke on boot, but I could be reading about that incorrectly.

Thanks everyone.