[arch-general] Alps touchpad problems

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 05:41:09 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Caio Geraldi Conechoni
<caio.conechoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had similar problem with a Dell Inspiron n5110, Alps touchpad. I bought
> it last october, and by then this psmouse-alps package didn't exist, so I
> got vertical scrolling to work using this module instead:

> But now I'm using kernel 3.1.8 and psmouse-alps package, and everything is
> perfect. I've been holding the linux package from upgrading until kernel
> 3.3 is on core.

OK thanks for the reply - I have not tried the psmouse-elantech
package from AUR but it might be worth trying it.  However I am
currently using kernel 3.2.5 and there is no sign of improvement in
the touchpad behaviour.  I was thinking of trying to compile the
psmouse.ko module and manually inserting it but I guess it would
likely do no more than building and installing the above package.  I
suppose that once the reverse engineered module was taken up in the
upstream kernel for 3.3 then no further development or support
happened for the package to use in the pre-3.3 kernels though it the
meantime it is a little frustrating having to wait a month or two
until 3.3 is released!

--
mike c