[arch-general] systemd's journal and syslog-ng

Tobias Frilling tobias at frilling-online.de
Wed Feb 15 17:00:21 EST 2012

If somebody still is interested in this, here is my follow-up:

After some digging (it is amazing how little information exist for this, not
even a man page for anything journal related) I came to the conclusion that
journal/socket is not meant for a logging daemon to read from. Instead
journal/syslog should be used (see [1]). So your service file should look
something like this:

Description=System Logger Daemon

ExecStartPre=-/bin/systemctl stop systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -F
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

And syslog should read from /run/systemd/journal/syslog

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/474968/