[arch-general] systemd's journal and syslog-ng

Tobias Frilling tobias at frilling-online.de
Thu Feb 16 14:14:50 EST 2012

On 02/16/2012 07:13 PM, ianux wrote:
> What's the difference between this syslog-ng.service file and the one
> from syslog-ng ?
> Beside the Alias line, you only duplicate the Sockets line which already
> exists.

Yeah, the duplication was an accident (might have happened out of frustration).
My prior setup lacked the journal/syslog socket, so I thought that the service
file was missing a Sockets= entry (reading the file might have helped ;-) ). The
service file shipped with syslog-ng does the trick, as long as you point the
config to journal/syslog.
As for the Alias line, consider this comment from syslog.socket:

# The default syslog implementation should make syslog.service a
# symlink to itself, so that this socket activates the right actual
# syslog service.
#
# Examples:
#
# /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service -> /lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service
# /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service -> /lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service
#
# Best way to achieve that is by adding this to your unit file
# (i.e. to rsyslog.service or syslog-ng.service):
#
# [Install]
# Alias=syslog.service