[arch-general] problem installing octave

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Feb 16 16:36:45 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:22:51PM +0100, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Run 'pacman -Syu' and try again.
> >
> > I've no intention to do a full system upgrade ATM, nor should
> > it be necessary. The problem is not that the missing lib is
> > out of date but that pacman apparently can't get it.
>
> You updated just the package database not the packages themselves, so
> how on earth was pacman supposed to update that lib?

Because it is apparently a dependency of octave. And pacman tried to
install it, but failed due to the 'no version information'. I would
understand the need for a full system upgrade if octave depended on
lots of libs which are currently out of date, but that is not the
case. It's just one missing and apparently impossible to install.

Anyway 'pacman -Su' produces the same message about missing version
info for that lib, so I don't think that will solve it.

> Why can't you fully update your system?

Because at this moment I need to be sure that this system will be
available the following hours. I don't mind a hour or two downtime
to resolve any problems resulting from a full update, but this is
not the time to do it. I don't even have a second system here to
go online and read the wiki if there were any problems.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.