[arch-general] problem installing octave

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Feb 16 17:06:25 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:55:22PM +0100, Alexandre Ferrando wrote:
> On 16 February 2012 22:52, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > Could you elaborate a bit on that ?  Isn't 'pacman -S foo' supposed
> > to either install (if not yet installed) or update any dependencies
> > of 'foo' ? That anyway is what apperently it has done for the last
> > three years I've been using it...
>
> That's what you got wrong. pacman -S foo only installs deps, does NOT
> update them if they are already in the system.

Not even if 'foo' requires a new version of a dependency ??

AFAIK pacman has updated dependencies - if required - every time
I used it. It would quite useless if it didn't.

But again: the problem is that one library *fails to install*,
even if the package database is up to date, and even if I try
to install it explicitly.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.