[arch-general] mplayer steals system sound

Thorsten quintfall at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 19 17:50:20 EST 2012

Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Thorsten <quintfall at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> my system-sound (alsa) was working, until I installed mplayer. Now
>> mplayer is working - but system-sound is gone. No way to regulate volume
>> in alsamixer,
>
> What exactly happens? Are there no mixers, is it not possible to
> adjust them, or does adjusting them not make a difference?

When playing mplayer, there is a playback mixer in alsamixer, and it
works. When mplayer is stopped, the playback mixer is gone, while the
other mixers are still there.

>> it seems mplayer has occupied the system.
>
> Just having it installed (very unlikely) or when it is running?

After I ran mplayer the first time, system sound was gone.

>> How can I use mplayer _and_ have sound for youtube etc again?
>
> Are you using pulseaudio? If not, do that. If you are, then make sure
> that alsa-plugins and pulseaudio-alsa are installed too.

yes, I do, and all the libraries are installed.
thanks for your answer.

cheers
--
thorsten