[arch-general] Source control on /etc

Taylor Hedberg tmhedberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:36:00 EST 2012

Alfredo Palhares, Thu 2012-02-23 @ 17:24:01+0100:
> Excerpts from Matthew Monaco's message of Thu Feb 23 17:08:46 +0100
> 2012:
> > What about permissions and ownership? These are pretty important for
> > /etc.
> What about those ? Git doesn't care about permissions, the only
> permissions that git stores is the executable bit.

But that's problematic for files in /etc, many of which require specific
ownership or mode bits set/unset. You don't want your VCS to elide the
fact that /etc/shadow should only be readable by root, for instance.

I don't think Git will change permissions on existing files in your
working directory, but if you ever cloned your /etc repo onto another
machine, the permissions would be screwed up.