[arch-general] mplayer steals system sound

Thorsten quintfall at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 25 01:20:06 EST 2012

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 06:27 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> If somebody should install PA depends to the usage of the computer. It's
>> not wise to install it, just to get an issue regarding to a special
>> usage of mplayer fixed, if the computer e.g. is used for pro-audio.
>>
>> - Ralf
>
> PS: Btw. my sound card has no audio output, as soon as PA is installed.
> The PA issue isn't related to pro-audio usage only, but also to the used
> hardware. Recommending to install PA is like recommending to install an
> ATI driver, if there should be issues for NVIDIA drivers, with a mounted
> NVIDIA graphics. PA can break an install.

Linux audio is only for the brave at heart, it seems - unless everything
works out ot the box.
I now started mplayer -ao like suggested in this thread, and all of
sudden I do have youtube sound again after shutting down mplayer (that
works too).
I can't say anything about pro/contra alsa, but it seems my problems is
solved (permanently?)
Thanks to everybody

--
cheers,