[arch-general] moving away from gnome

Mantas M. grawity at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:22:55 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 07:07:21PM +0000, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> The strange thing is that if I am in a gnome-session closing the lid or
> calling suspend from the gnome menu everything works.
>
> But if I fire up awesome only then closing the lid doesn't work anymore.
>
> So the question is, what is gnome magically firing up that other window
> managers don't?

Among other things, `gnome-settings-daemon` (which manages power settings in GNOME 3).

There is nothing magic about it; just typical XDG autostart items, which are listed in /etc/xdg/autostart/ + ~/.config/autostart/ for any XDG-compliant session manager. (Pay attention to "AutostartCondition" in the files when browsing.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>