[arch-general] moving away from gnome

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 25 18:27:18 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 22:48 +0200, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> lauantai, 25. helmikuuta 2012 21:46:03 Ralf Mardorf kirjoitti:
> > On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 20:32 +0000, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> > >           netfs
> > >           wicd
> > >           @alsa
> > There's no networkmanager started ;).
> But he told he has also tried wicd and he has wicd in the daemons list :D

FWIW nm did my network connections and without any reason Arch was screwed up.
Since I've got nm installed it happens that from time to time the access to the Internet is dropped.

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ su
Password:
[root at archlinux spinymouse]# killall networkmanager
networkmanager: no process found
[root at archlinux spinymouse]# networkmanager stop
bash: networkmanager: command not found
[root at archlinux spinymouse]# ifconfig eth0 up && netcfg pppoe
 > pppoe already connected
[root at archlinux spinymouse]#

Pff, I've forgotten to run poff and pon. Anyway, such annoying bullshit
only happens since networkmanger is installed and is used "beside".

Without nm I didn't run into trouble. I only installed it to test if an
USB Wi-Fi device should work using it.

At least nm on my machine seems to be a guarantee to screw up
connections and to force a reboot.