[arch-general] moving away from gnome

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 06:12:50 EST 2012

I'm getting very close to a final solution :)

So now the only thing left to do is to make sure that these are executed
(this is my .xprofile):

if [ -x "$(which gpg-agent)" ]; then
     if test -f $HOME/.gpg-agent-info && \
         kill -0 $(cut -d: -f 2 $HOME/.gpg-agent-info) 2>/dev/null
     then
         GPG_AGENT_INFO=$(cat $HOME/.gpg-agent-info)
         export GPG_AGENT_INFO
     else
         eval $(gpg-agent --daemon)
         echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO >$HOME/.gpg-agent-info
     fi
fi

source $HOME/.bash_profile
xbindkeys -f $HOME/.xbindkeysrc &
bitlbee -F -c $HOME/.bitlbee.conf

Very strangely now even if the gpg-agent is not appearing to be on, the
gpg key looks cached anyway.
Is it the consolekit doing something maybe?

So I'm not sure if I should move them to .xinitrc or to use GDM..
Probably GDM would be easier and I can configure also the auto-login,
but does it starts many other things that I don't need?

And when everything is done, is there an easy way to uninstall all the
gnome things which I don't need anymore?
(pacman -R gnome complains about many dependencies)