[arch-general] inotify and locate

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 07:27:32 EST 2012

On 02/26/2012 12:23 PM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> It is only for Linux. That was my barrier. It has no portability to Mac or
> BSDs. It is a great tool and really comes in handy.
>
> There is an package called inotify-tools that does some basic watching.
> I've used it in the past.
>
> Calvin

Well mac has already spotlight, and BSD probably has some other ways.
If you want something fast there it must run in the kernel, so it's very
hard to have
something multi-plaform.

This python project is multi-platform in theory,
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/watchdog,
(and uses inotify on Linux) but it's not designed exactly with this
intent IMHO.