[arch-general] moving away from gnome

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 11:39:31 EST 2012

On 02/26/2012 03:32 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Andrea Crotti
> <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm getting very close to a final solution :)
>>
>> So now the only thing left to do is to make sure that these are executed
>> (this is my .xprofile):
>>
>> if [ -x "$(which gpg-agent)" ]; then
>>     if test -f $HOME/.gpg-agent-info&&  \
>>         kill -0 $(cut -d: -f 2 $HOME/.gpg-agent-info) 2>/dev/null
>>     then
>>         GPG_AGENT_INFO=$(cat $HOME/.gpg-agent-info)
>>         export GPG_AGENT_INFO
>>     else
>>         eval $(gpg-agent --daemon)
>>         echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO>$HOME/.gpg-agent-info
>>     fi
>> fi
>>
>> source $HOME/.bash_profile
>> xbindkeys -f $HOME/.xbindkeysrc&
>> bitlbee -F -c $HOME/.bitlbee.conf
>>

>> Very strangely now even if the gpg-agent is not appearing to be on, the gpg
>> key looks cached anyway.
>> Is it the consolekit doing something maybe?
>>
>> So I'm not sure if I should move them to .xinitrc or to use GDM..
>> Probably GDM would be easier and I can configure also the auto-login, but
>> does it starts many other things that I don't need?
> Would it not be easier to switch to KDM or one of the other login
> managers rather than use GDM if you have moved away from Gnome?

Is kdm in kde-workspace-base?
If yes it also has quite a lot of dependencies which I don't really need.
And actually I think I can survive very well without any login manager.
I just need to set up correctly my .xinitrc, and then give on e startx
every time I reboot
my machine (so every 3-4 weeks).

With ck-lauch-session I solved the policykit issues so I don't see what
else I'm missing not
using a login manager..