[arch-general] dovecot.conf moved to dovecot.pacsave - why?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:36:38 EST 2012

On 02/27/2012 06:18 PM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> Was just coming here to ask similar. As far as I can understand, this
> is so the user can use their own (unaffected by upgrades)
> dovecot.conf, but we have /etc/dovecot/local.conf which is by default
> enabled in the stock dovecot.conf anyway for that.

I've been through the dovecot wiki and the config changes are not really
relevant for simple installs. If you have some crazy multi-virtual-server setup
with multiple TLS Server Name Indication setup, then maybe the
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/##-udev-like-rules makes sense, but for simple TLS setups,
dovecot.conf is a far better setup.

For the simple case, the dovecot.conf still works fine, so I would argue against
the move to dovecot.conf.pacsave by default.

It's a minor thing, but as a packaging policy, unless the existing config will
'no longer work', then why disable it?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.