[arch-general] Using <Shift> + F1 on XFCE

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 28 10:44:31 EST 2012

Am 28.02.2012 10:14, schrieb Vitor Garcia:
> Good morning.
>
> I have an Arch Linux x86_64 installation on my laptop, and I use a
> couple of programs that requires me to use <Shift> + F1 to start a few
> functions, but every time I do that I'm dropped to the Virtual Console,
> and then I have to use <Ctrl> + <Alt> + F7 to get back to XFCE.
>
> It is not possible to change the shortcuts of the softwares I use, so I
> need to disable this feature in XFCE, but so far I haven't found
> anything on Google/Arch Wiki.
>
> Any ideas of how to do that?

Without knowing the cause of this undefined behaviour, you could be able
to work around it by disabling VT switching via keyboard in the X server.

Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-disable-vtswitch.conf with the following
contents:

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DontVTSwitch"
EndSection

You can still switch VTs by running 'chvt 1' as root.