[arch-general] unionfs or aufs, available somewhere?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 3 06:04:45 EST 2012

Am 03.01.2012 11:26, schrieb Magnus Therning:
> Is either of them easily available somewhere?
>
> I'd like to use the `union-type=` option of `schroot`, but so far it
> looks like I'll have to get a new kernel from AUR and compile aufs3
> myself to set it up.  Is neither of these rather useful filesystems
> available pre-built somewhere?

None of these filesystems work with an unpatched kernel. None of these
are particularly fast or stable. None of these keep up well with current
Linux development.

The new and shiny overlayfs has still not been merged into 3.2 and union
mounts development has stalled for a long time.

It is 2012 now and the whole situation still sucks. We switched to
(block-based) device mapper snapshots in archiso, which is stable, but
far from optimal. This does not completely replace unioning and is
likely not a good solution to use with schroot.