[arch-general] Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver

Jonathan Vasquez jvasquez1011 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:52:15 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Fabio Mancinelli
<fabio.mancinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I switched from nVidia proprietary drivers, that had some window
> redrawing issues, to nouveau.
>
> This fixed the redrawing issues but made my laptop start to freeze on
> suspend (with the proprietary driver, suspend worked without any
> issues)
>
> I looked at the log in /var/log/ but everything seems to be ok.
>
> Could you suggest me how can I debug and understand what's going on
> and why suspend stopped to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Fabio
>
> P.S.: When I say "freeze" I mean that the system switches to text
> mode, and the cursor appears in the top left corner (without
> blinking). Everything is blocked and I have to hard-poweroff the
> laptop and restart it.
>
> P.P.S.: Here it is some configuration data:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux nemesis 3.1.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 22 09:11:48 CET 2011
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> # pacman -Q | grep nouveau
> nouveau-dri 7.11.2-1
> xf86-video-nouveau 0.0.16_git20110829-1
>
> # lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce
> GT 330M] (rev a2)

For me, I have the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, and everything is
running on LVM, but I have the same problem. I've added "resume" to my
mkinitcpio, and to my parameters for grub.

The problem for me is that when I go to suspend, it doesn't even
suspend, it just closes everything, switches to a black/blank screen
with the blinking symbol _ , and stays there.  It doesn't fully shut
down. Then I have to manually restart the computer.

I also have pm-utils installed.

- Jon