[arch-general] System a bit broken pacman -Syu exists in filesystem

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Jan 4 14:49:08 EST 2012

On 04.01.2012 20:23, Lars Madson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My system has two hard drive, one SSD with / and /home/user on two
> partitions and a HDD mounted on /opt and /var.
>
> The HDD failed, and the system works with only the SSD as it was installed
> like this and then extended to the HDD.
>
> Now I'm performing an upgrade of the whole system to get back to normal but
> all files in /usr are making conflict as the /opt and /var are older and
> trying to install files that are already there.

> Or maybe I
> would love some kind of option in pacman that would overwrite or ignore
> those conflicts, I know that's against how pacman is build so I'm asking
> here.

If you are careful you can use --force and pacman will ignore every
existing file and overwrite it. In this case it sounds like this is
justified, but please do NOT use it when you are not absolutely sure
about what you are doing. If --force breaks something it's totally your
fault.

Sorry I'm stressing this so much, but lots of people seem to think using
it is safe or supported, but it's not.

Before you do this, please check if there are any conflicts outside of
those 2 directories (filter pacman output with `grep -v -e ": /opt/" -e
": /var/"`) and also create a backup of them (/opt and /var) in case you
overwrite something you shouldn't.

You should also reinstall every installed package just in case something
hasn't received an update yet. `(pacman -Qq; pacman -Qqm) | sort | uniq
-u` should give you a list of all install package without AUR ones.

--
Florian Pritz