[arch-general] Battery question about a Firmware Bug in logs.

Don Juan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:36:35 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 03:30 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:14:42 +0100
> Martti Kühne<mysatyre at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:45:43PM -0800, Don Juan wrote:
>>> Battery 0: Discharging, 87%, 01:57:08 remaining
>>>
>>> That is all the output I get. Is there a file that is related to
>>> discharge rate some place I can not find? Is this rate built into
>>> the kernel? From what I read this is built in to the kernel but I am
>>> not sure I am grasping that. Am I chasing something that is moot to
>>> overall performance and stability of the laptop? Can I give any
>>> other info I am not thinking of sharing? Is this question that bad I
>>> get the silence? ;)
>>>
>> well, back when I was using a laptop I used /proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/* where
>> a state file gave information in mAh about the full state and the present
>> state in which it is discharging. crafting a progressive algorithm that
>> dynamically averages battery usage and calculates a remaining time from it
>> shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>> I'm not really sure where the mechanism that is trying to calculate these
>> things for you is coming from, and myself would try to shut it down / see
>> myself to make things cope with strange data. How correct is the estimate you
>> get, anyway?
>>
>> On another notice, does the error make your cpu go crazy or something else
>> imminent like this? Because otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>> cheers!
>> mar77i
> /proc ACPI entries have been deprecated. All files are now located
> in /sys/class/power_supply. The correctness of numbers in there depends on your BIOS and can be completely nonexistent...

I do know this laptop has a buggy DSDT but I have never had luck in
trying to get the errors fixed. I can never find things online in
relation to the errors it produces, best I have ever done is clear 2 of
the 200 something errors when trying to recompile it :P

I guess that must be it though the BIOS not playing nice, just weird it
only shows on the Arch kernel. Maybe I need to finally figure out how to
do my DSDT.