[arch-general] About cron utility

郑文辉(Techlive Zheng) techlivezheng at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 22:49:48 EST 2012

Recently, I noticed that my laptop and server are using different cron
utility.My laptop is using dcron while server using cronie.

Then,I did some digging about the Arch default cron utility.I found a
[discussion](http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2011-April/019282.html)
happend on this list in April 2011. It said that dcron is dead, so
cronie was choosen as default cron utility.Just before I am planning
to use cronie replacing dcron on my laptop, I found that dcron has
released a [update](https://github.com/dubiousjim/dcron/blob/master/CHANGELOG)
on May 1st 2011 just after the discussion with some bugfixes and
improvements like anacron support.

What happend at that time? Is Jim Pryor responded the discussion in
the maillist? Any link?

Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron? Cronie in base group
seems has a separate anacrontab in /etc which is not kiss I think? If
anacron functionity has been included in dcron by default, May be dron
is a good choice?

It seems Jim Pryor is using Arch bug tracker as its official place of
dcron development.Is this project dead or alive?

So,what is the official recommendation on this point?