[arch-general] linux-api-headers in core is 3.1.5 while linux is 3.1.6

Patrick Buddeberg perchy22 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 22:51:40 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 00:12, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

>>> The linux-api-headers package is entirely unrelated to the running or
>>> installed kernel. It contains the headers that give glibc the API to the
>>> Linux kernel, and must never (NEVER NEVER NEVER) be different from the
>>> version that glibc was built against.
>>>
>>> Please, someone give me a cent for every time this question is asked.
>>>

>> It may help if this information is in an easily reachable area, as I
>> couldn't find it anywhere after searching the wiki and forums followed
>> by the internet as a whole. The closest thing that I found was from
>> LFS, but this actually makes it seem like it is very closely bound to
>> both kernel and glibc.
>>

> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=955909

Thank you. I derped and didn't check the Newbie Corner but only the
Kernel section. And of course I am just now reading "If no forums are
selected, all forums will be searched." I failed pretty hard there.

Is there somewhere anyone would recommend for getting a more in-depth
understanding of why the API header can be divorced from the kernel.
Honestly, even a "Let Me Google that For You" link would be useful to
my mental blocked self right now.

My guess is that there is an internal symbol table that the API
headers uses, and that they also don't necessarily support the newest
things in the kernel, if there are new things that are being exposed.

Thank you,
-Patrick

"If you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say the cat died
nobly" Arnold Edinborough