[arch-general] Removing initrd (For use with GRUB2, LVM, GPT)

Jonathan Vasquez jvasquez1011 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:00:33 EST 2012

>> Btw, there are nowadays many more reasons why using an initramfs is
>> preferred. By depending on initramfs, you can simplify system
>> initialization greatly. In the future, it is likely that booting a Linux
>> system without initramfs will only be possible in very simple cases - at
>> least that is the direction we are moving towards.
>>

> You are correct. It simplifies it in a lot of ways, also complicates
> it as well since you need an extra set of files (included in the
> initramfs).
>
> Thanks for the wonderful response. I really enjoyed reading it.
>
> --
> Jonathan Vasquez

So for the past few days I've been working on removing the initram,
how the it works, the kernel, booting process, MBR, etc and I
successfully managed to remove the initramfs. So Arch works, it ends
up booting to the desktop, and all that good stuff. Although, without
the initramfs, I noticed that when I boot my computer, I don't get any
of the messages that Arch normally throws out "Welcome to Arch" ,
"Staring udev", etc etc. It's just a blank screen until it reaches
kdm. When I go to shutdown, I do see these output messages, of when
it's stopping the services etc. I checked the /etc/rc.sysinit, and the
other rc files and functions, and I see that Arch is really integrated
with the use of initramfs. Is this a good thing? Shouldn't the use of
an initramfs be optional? (Sure a person can decide to use it to take
the extra benefits, but should the initramfs be integrated enough into
the system where the output messages don't get displayed?)

--
Jonathan Vasquez